Thursday 3 July 2008

A change to the master plan

The reason it has been so quite lately is because I decided to finish my studies and the house renovations before doing the trip. To do a 6 month trip would most likely require me to quit my job, and I would feel much better about doing that if I knew I could walk back into a similar job again and if we can rent the house out while we are away. I probably have 2 semesters left now - I say probably because one of the last exams may not have tested the best side of my brain (I find out in 2 weeks time), otherwise I would only have had 1 semester to go. The work on the house is also trundling along nicely again - this time next month I'll be taking manly showers instead of girly baths again (any previous lengthy soaks in the tub were purely to soften fingernail grease).

Something else has come up now. Last weekend a bunch of us were camping at the Assen round of the MotoGP (if you haven't been you REALLY should!) and Pete got talking about the Raid de Himalaya (http://www.raid-de-himalaya.com/). And talking, and talking, and talking... ;) Well some of it must have filtered through despite Amsterdam's finest, because by the next morning I couldn't stop thinking about it. The highest bike race in the world! And the guy who won it last year was a bike journo with no previous rallye experience. I'm not looking for a trophy, but if one of my grandchildren (no, Ness isn't pregnant) one day ask me if I ever raced it would be pretty cool to say "No. Except this one race that I did in the Himalayas at 18000ft...". Joking aside, I have been thinking about what my next challenge might be when I finished my studies, and something to do with riding bikes would be perfect!

I've already started reading up about the race and the more I read, the scarier it looks, but strangely also the more attractive it becomes - kind of "if it is really hard it is probably worth doing".

No comments: